26 October 2010

Vegetable Barley Soup

This one I made up as I went. I bought pearl barley at the health food store, and wanted to make a nice, easy, autumn soup with it. I used the remainder of my vegetable stock, approximately 6 cups, as the liquid for the soup. 

1 cup barley
6 cups vegetable broth
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
1/2 cup fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t dried oregano

Saute carrot, celery, onion in large pot adding salt and pepper to taste. Add barley and broth and cook until barley expands. Add in peas, parsley, herbs and spices. Garnish with a sprig of parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. How did you know I have a few cups of barley, purchased on a whim, that need using up? This looks both tasty and easy-peasy. Thanks!

    P.S. Love the new look of the blog.

    ReplyDelete