20 October 2010

Vegetable Stock


Deceptively simple yet ridiculously delicious.

I don't eat chicken or beef stock, so when preparing soup or stew, I use vegetable stock. Recently I was reintroduced to the ease and simplicity of making my own vegetable broth, and now I have a few quarts of the stuff at the ready in my refrigerator.

Use vegetable scraps - carrot peelings, celery ends, corn cobs, and the like. Put them in a pot and add a couple onions, cloves of garlic. Add plenty of water. Cook for 30-45 minutes. Yes, this really is enough time.

Let the mixture cool before you poor it in containers. I recommend using glass bottles, mainly because I think everything tastes better out of glass than plastic. But, also it's a lot easier to pour out of bottles. This is also a great way to recycle pasta sauce bottles...

Enjoy! Oh, and you really shouldn't keep this longer than 10 days, but it can also be frozen (just not in glass bottles).

No comments:

Post a Comment